Sunday, April 26, 2009

Ask Anoush! All Things Dating Advice Column

Ask Anoush! Have a dating question? Need help navigating the dating world? Simply e-mail Anoush at anoush@speedladating.com with your question and she'll answer it right here.

  • Kelly - Venice
    Hi Anoush! I didn’t have so much a question about dating as I did about your name. It’s so pretty where does it come from?

Hi Kelly,
Well thank you very much for your kind comment, I do get asked all the time! It is an Armenian name and it means ‘sweet’. My mother is Armenian and my father is English, although my father chose my name!
Thanks again.

  • Sam, Marina Del Rey
    Is there a perfect first line when I meet a girl at a bar?

Hi Sam,
Thank you for this fun question! I must say I am against all ‘lines’ of any kind. No matter how good you may think your line is, the fact that you have memorized and rehearsed the line; invariably means it will not sound natural. Women do not like to feel like one of many and if you use a line on her, she may feel like you were ready to use it on any willing listener. Go with your heart and be yourself. Better to make an honest impression that might not be so hot, than a fake one that sounds too smooth.

  • Claire, Studio City
    I’ve been seeing this guy off and on for the last year. Nothing too serious, just some fun here and there. I thought our situation was kind of understood, but lately he is latching on to me. He’s fun, but not boyfriend material. What do I do?

Hi Claire,

Thank you for your question. It sounds to me like you need to get out of this – quick! By continuing any form of relationship with this guy you are sending out the wrong message. Most guys think that all women want more, so he is probably confused by your contentment of this casual arrangement. I would suggest that you go out to lunch and give him the ‘let’s be friends’ talk! I think after a year, no matter how casual the relationship is you do owe it to him to do this face to face. Good luck!

  • Camille, Laguna Beach
    I met a guy online who rocks! Except one thing, we haven’t met yet. We have IM’d till the wee hours of the morning night after night. We connect on every level except of course, that eye to eye thing. I keep suggesting we meet for coffee but he is always conveniently busy. What do I do? There seems to be such a online connection so why can’t there be a physical connection?

Hi Camille,
This question comes up time and time again now that we find ourselves in this new internet age of dating. I have to say, I am completely dubious of all internet-only relationships. I note that you say this guy ‘rocks’ – how do you know that? One cannot begin to know someone until you have met them. What you can feel in an instant over a look in the eyes, can take a year on the computer. You do not say if you have spoken on the phone yet, I definitely suggest this as a first step if you have not. My best advice to you is keep pushing the issue, it is not normal to continue on like this and not meet. As in all internet relationships, please do take caution when you do decide to meet. Perhaps you could double date with friends or a daytime lunch meeting initially? I may sound over-cautious, but one never knows these days. Best of luck to you and let me know how it goes!