Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Ask Anoush! All Things Dating Advice Column

Ask Anoush! Have a dating question? Need help navigating the dating world? Simply e-mail Anoush at anoush@speedladating.com with your question and she'll answer it right here.
  • Jessica, Burbank
    I live in Burbank and needed a great first date place. Someplace romantic, but not too romantic if you know what I mean.

Hi Jessica, Thank you for your lovely question. It didn’t take me any time at all to come up with an answer. I have the perfect go-to spot, not too romantic, not unromantic either. Your answer awaits you at CafĂ© Bizou. I can’t say enough good things about this oasis in the valley. By far the best California-French fare for miles around. If you want to lean gently towards the romantic side (and I did say gently, so don’t panic!) request to be seated on the patio. Otherwise, inside is great too. I just find if a night is going to go well, it’s always nicer to be outside under the heat lamps - if it goes terribly you’re that much closer to Valet! The food is simply excellent (for a heavenly dish order the lobster special) there is a fabulous full bar and extensive wine list. Perfect setting, not too much, not too little and great prices too. You will not go wrong, I’m guaranteeing this one!

  • Steve, Northridge
    Hello Anoush! OK. Here’s my deal. My girl’s birthday is in 10 days. We’ve been seeing each other for about 2 months. I have absolutely no idea what to get her. I’m a bit tight on cash and I didn’t want to send the wrong message. Any help?

Hi Steve, Thanks for your question love, I’m sure you’re not alone in this common angst. I like to believe I am not alone in my love for Sephora. Before you panic at the thought of walking in and feeling completely lost - have no fear – www.sephora.com is here. Cue the orchestra! Sephora really has come to us from above! Ladies love it. Not only because there is everything under one roof that we could possibly ever want, but and this is where you come in, they have the most fantabulous , and affordable gifts. A couple of my personal favorites that Sephora.com has at the moment are the Marc Jacobs Daisy Deluxe Gift Set ($87 value only $65!) Not only does this box set include a bottle of Marc Jacobs perfume but also the matching body lotion and shower gel! You are not going to go wrong there and your lady will smell so divine. Another favorite of mine is the Nars Body Glow gift set, only $49, I would be tickled pink to receive this and would give you major points! Let me know what you decide upon and how it goes!

  • Marcus, Pasadena
    I have a question. I’ve been dating this woman for 4 months. We both have been seeing other people during that time, but I really like her now and I want to take the relationship to another level. How do I do that? I’m afraid to put myself out there, only to lose what I have if I scare her off.

Hi Marcus, thank you for your question, this is an interesting situation. Without knowing too many details, I would suggest a slow start – no sudden movements! You are obviously already aware of the fear of scaring her off, so that is good. All too often, men are not intuitive to this and make direct movements or sudden demands. You both have been seeing other people so you both have an equal footing and say in how things go forward. I would start by securing more nights together, or day trips whichever your schedule allows for. Basically the message you want to get across to her is that she is number one on your list. You never know she may be feeling the same way and isn’t sure how to approach you. Once you have a few more great dates, maybe elevated in terms of where you go, small gifts for her, increased phone calls etc...Then I would advise that you arrange a special dinner date. On this special date, take it up a notch – nice restaurant, flowers when you pick her up, lay the romance on thick! If this night goes well and you feel it’s mutual, then you are in a good place to have ‘the conversation’. Maybe you’ll want to have the talk that night, maybe you’ll wait until a few days after…you’ll know. Let me know how things develop, I love updates!